Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

And So It Continues

Just as an update to the crazy things going on in my life, on Monday I got home from work and checked my email. This is what I saw:

Hi Justin,
I know this is going to sound weird and a little creepy...
I dreamed about you over and over last night. This normally only happens with people to whom I've given birth.
So...I'm worried.
I realize that we don't know each other; we're just fellow travelers on this train. And maybe everything is great and you've never been better. I hope so.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that you're in my prayers today. I'm here if you need anything of an "understanding older sister" or "reasonably hip aunt" nature.


This is from the woman who conducts the music in Primary. I thought it was the craziest thing to get. Totally out of the blue. In my response, I decided to go all out and be totally honest. I gave her the gist of what has been going on in my life, summarized the journey I've been on, and told her why I stopped playing the piano for Primary. I clicked "Send" and sat there with knots in my stomach while I ate dinner and waited for her response. This was how she responded:

Well, Justin, that explains why you were on my heart.
You came to the right place. My 21 year old son just came out last July. So I'm right there with you...except on the Mom side. He tells me that he knows the teachings of the Church are true but he can't just "pray the gay away" and he feels like he can't be fake and he can't be alone. All I can do is love him and make sure he has a safe place to come home to.
I understand how frustrating it must be trying to reconcile the need for spiritual nourishment and human companionship. And then to feel people being judgmental when you need love and support...well that just sucks.
Anyway, you're not alone. You can always sit by me. (That'll start some rumors! Haha)
As for Primary, nobody told me anything, and I miss having you in there. But I am nothing if not adaptable.
I'm here for you.



Seriously?! What the hell?! 

I responded to her and said that her email was the most recent event in a line of several that were making it hard for an old cynic like me to keep calling them coincidental. 

What does it all mean? What's next?

3 comments:

  1. Aren't moms the best? My mom has been my biggest advocate and has been fighting my battle back in my home ward (I'm away at college). I haven't been home or faced the ward since I came out 5 months ago :)

    I'm convinced people like this woman pretty much have their salvation in-pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Dan! I totally agree. My mom is pretty amazing too. It wasn't always that way, but she came around. Good luck at college. :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like someone who cares. How wonderful, however it turns out.

    ReplyDelete