I am at a bit of a loss as to how I should word today's post. Maybe I'll just start at the beginning and things will start to make sense as I write...
The bishop sent me a text message this past Tuesday evening while I was at my choir practice (the real choir I sing with, not the church one I play the piano for), asking if I would be able to meet with him this Sunday afternoon. I jokingly said, "Uh-oh. Am I in trouble?" He responded, "Of course not! I just want to see how you're doing." Knowing that it was probably more than just that, I told him I would come in.
I wondered all week what I would say to him. I knew, especially after our previous three meetings, that the conversation would somehow include my sexuality and spirituality, as those were the two primary things we had focused on. Up until this point, we had not talked about any specific religious issues that I have or any of my issues with the Mormon church. Religion had come up only inasmuch as it dealt with my sexuality. He knew I was only attending sacrament meeting; he knew that I was not taking the sacrament. But that's it.
I was trying all week to decide if I should be blunt and lay it all out there, or if I should try to word things in a way that "softened the blow." I wanted him to know where I'm at, but I couldn't shake this feeling that I would be disappointing him. Truth be told, I have been enjoying the friendship of him and his family outside of church--I've gone to their house twice for dinner, they've come over here once, and I did the jump into frozen Lake Michigan with them on Christmas day--and I have been worried that if he knew where I stand in my views on religion, he would no longer want to be my friend.
The meeting began as it always does: he shakes my hand, we sit down, he asks if I'll give a prayer, I tell him that he can go ahead, and he gives the prayer. When he started talking after that, he seemed a bit flummoxed, like he was trying to find words that weren't coming as easily as they usually do for him. He was talking about what things are "usually like" when someone has a calling, how they should live their lives outside church in a way that always always allows for the Spirit to be present, and how no matter what the calling, they are expected to maintain worthiness to hold that calling. "I've never really asked you about your sexual activity or if you are even currently sexually active..." Ah yes, I thought, I know where this is going. I had expected this conversation to happen much earlier, but assumed he was waiting until I was too deep into my calling as the choir pianist to back out easily. I assumed he was about to tell me that in order to hold a calling, I had to maintain celibacy, adhere to the Word of Wisdom, have a testimony of the church, etc.
"You maybe thought it was kinda weird when I gave you that calling," he said.
"Well, yeah. To be honest, I was pretty surprised."
He laughed. "Well, I'm about to give you another one."
Uhh.... Say what??
Seeing the look on my face, a mix between incredulity and discomfort, he said, "Just hear me out before you respond at all."
He said that there were a few others in the ward who were capable of fulfilling this calling. He said that he had had the distinct impression that I was the one who should be doing it, and that it would help me somehow on my own spiritual journey to get closer to Christ. He said that he had talked it over with his counselors, and they were of the same mind.
It was at this point that I felt it was important to lay it all out there. I told him that we had never talked about doctrine or religion yet, and that this might be a good time to at least start that conversation. I hemmed and hawed and told him that I wasn't sue how I should put things. "Just be blunt and honest," he said. "And," he added, "just so you know, no matter what you say in here, it will not affect our friendship outside this office. So if that's what's holding you back, you don't need to worry about that." So off I went.
Word of Wisdom: I don't believe in it.
Literality of the Bible: I don't believe in it.
Eternity: I don't believe in it.
Immutability of the church's teachings and doctrine: Not true.
Christians' propensity for picking and choosing what they follow: I'm not diggin' it.
A living, human God: I don't believe in it.
(I talked about all these in great detail and with much more pathos, but there's no reason to bore you all with that here.)
"I attend sacrament meeting really just for my own benefit. And as far as what you said at the beginning of our conversation," I said, since we had never really taken that any further than his mentioning it, "although I am not currently sexually active, I do plan on having a companion and will be seeking that intimacy and partnership. I will not turn it down when I find it."
He said he understood my questions and could see how I had some issues. He assured me that he also had a great many questions and issues of his own (some of which he described to me, but in the interest of his privacy and confidence, I will not mention them here), some that had never been answered, and some that may never be answered. His faith carries him through. His belief that everything happens for a reason carries him through. "I have to believe that," he said several times. "I have to believe that God knows what He's doing."
That thinking, to me, is a slippery slope. Where does it end? If one truly believes that, then there is a reason that there is so much starvation in the world while so many of us are disgusting gluttons. There is a reason that kids are being bullied to the point of suicide. There is a reason that I CONSTANTLY manage to get behind the person who can't seem to drive the speed limit. There is a reason that the store was out of my favorite cereal. There is a reason why it's supposed to be 37 degrees tomorrow. I'm being hyperbolic... but am I really? If one "has" to believe that there was a reason that the church banned people of African descent from the priesthood only to come out this year and blame all that unpleasantness on that particular era's biases, where does that thinking end? End of tangent...
Despite everything I told him, despite it all, he said, "I still want you to take this calling."
"I drink coffee every morning," I said. "I love my morning coffee. I enjoy an occasional glass of wine with dinner. And I love a good micro-brewed beer."
He just nodded his head and smiled. "Okay," he said. He looked almost amused, somehow. I have to admit I was a little disappointed; I had expected much more of a reaction since this was the first of his hearing that I do these things.
"You said at the beginning," I went on, "that a person with a calling has to behave outside church in a way that invites the Spirit in," I said. "Do I need to tell you when I drink alcohol? Do I need to come and tell you when I meet someone with whom I might potentially develop a relationship."
"There are some people whom I feel I need to check in with often, some people I feel I need to stay on top of, asking them how they're doing. I don't feel like I need to do that with you. When I say you should be living in a way that is conducive to the Spirit, that's for you to decide. Do you have to be without issues and doubts and questions to serve in this calling? No. But I feel like this is the right thing for you right now." He sat forward in his chair. "Please accept." I hesitated and put my head in my hands. "As a friend, please accept."
"I don't feel good about this," I finally said. "I don't know why, but I just don't feel good about it. I feel like I'd be a hypocrite."
He asked me to do two things this week: first, he wants me to go through the children's sing book. Flip through it, read through it, play through some songs. Second, he wants me to pray and ask God if this is what I should be doing. I agreed to do those things, knowing that I don't really believe in prayer, but knowing that I could certainly ponder it and do my version of praying.
Just before we finished, he told me a story about when he was teaching at the MTC. He asked for some time off to pursue something else, and then wanted to be a supervisor when he returned. His boss gave his okay to this. But upon returning, his boss rescinded and said that he wanted him to continue teaching. He was miffed, to say the least, but later realized that he would have missed out on so many great things if he had gotten the supervisory position. I said that his story reminded me of the story I read this morning about when a group from Affirmation attended the Tabernacle Choir podcast performance. They thought the host had deliberately not announced their group's presence. There were tears and anger and talk of getting up en masse and walking out. They stuck it out, however, and at the end, the host apologized for forgetting an important group and then announced Affirmation's presence and asked them to stand. If they had left, they would have gone on being hurt and angry and would never have known that they ended up being announced after all.
"That," he said with a smirk and a twinkle in his eye, "is exactly why I want to you to accept this calling."
How can one argue with that logic?
On the way home it struck me: It's not even so much that I think I would be a hypocrite; it's that the ward would think I'm a hypocrite. I wondered, if they knew about me, knew that I don't at all follow the Word of Wisdom, knew that I don't believe the basic tenets of the LDS church, knew that I don't believe in the literality of the Bible, knew not only that I'm gay but that I absolutely plan on pursuing a relationship when I find the right person, would they want me in this calling? If they knew all these things, would they raise their right arm in assent next Sunday when the bishop asks the ward to sustain me?
I honestly do not know what to do. On the one hand, it's just playing the piano for primary. It's kids' songs. Pretty innocuous as far as church songs and religion go. But on the other hand, I do not want to appear a hypocrite. I don't take the sacrament not because I personally think I'm living in an unworthy way, but because I know I am not living what the church teaches is worthy, and I don't want to make a mockery of other's beliefs. Isn't playing the piano for primary (and the choir, for that matter), innocuous as it may be, basically the same thing? And why would he start our conversation by pointing out that people who hold callings are expected to maintain certain behaviors, only to persist with the calling even after finding out the way I live my life outside church??
Accept the calling! Trust the bishop! You don't know me, but I read your posts on MBB. . . And I serve in my own Primary, so I know the kids will love you. You'll bring some cool energy!
ReplyDeleteBesides, you never know who you'll help. One day those kids will put two and two together, realize that you are gay and that they still love you! It will remind them that love and being gay are not two separate things.
I said one day this will happen because right now you'll see that the kids don't care who or what you are. Just say hi to them in the church hallways, give them the occasional treat and they'll love you. Love is unconditional with kids!
You'll have fun!!!
You're right, and I'm sure I'll have fun. I just tend to (way) over think things.
DeleteThank you for the encouragement! :)
Accept the calling! I think you will feel good serving others and sharing your talent.
ReplyDeletePlaying the piano for primary is one of my favorite callings, EVER. Do it, you will be great, and the songs for children are really quite beautiful and always touched me in ways I was not expecting. They might just do the same for you. :)
ReplyDeleteHappy night!
I'll only agree if they still sing (a) Jesus wants me for a sunbeam and (b) Popcorn popping on the apricot tree. :)
DeleteOh they totally still sing those songs and jump and scream on the "beam" for Sunbeam. ha!
DeletePrimary pianist is one of the best callings in the church! Kids are the best. They are nonjudgmental, unlike most adults in the church.
ReplyDeleteAmen, Mike. Thanks!
DeleteFascinating post. It reminded me of those uncomfortable months and years as I was separating myself from the Church. I wanted to "do my duty", but I felt increasingly uncomfortable in the church environment because I just didn't believe much any more. Sure, sitting through a lesson was familiar, but I felt increasingly like an outsider.
ReplyDeleteWhatever course you choose (in this one specific calling or in larger decisions that will come your way), I hope you feel comfortable with it, and that it will bring you satisfaction and happiness.
I
Chris, that's definitely where I'm at right now too. I'm just not too sure how involved I want to get, especially after not having gone to church in about 18 years. Thank you for your thoughts. :)
DeleteAccept on the condition that you'll resign if it doesn't work out. Also ponder this quote: "The church is not a museum of saints, but a hospital for sinners." Even though we call ourselves saints, the reality is we're all sinners. No one is perfect, but that shouldn't stop us from participating or even having callings. Especially when your Bishop appears so insightful in extending this calling to you.
ReplyDeleteHey Ned, kinda crazy that you used that quote because the bishop used THE EXACT same one with me in our meeting yesterday! Thanks so much for your comment. :)
DeleteIsn't the president of Affirmation also the primary pianist in his ward? Maybe this is the new calling for gays. My mom told me the primary president in our ward was asking if I might be willing to do that calling but my Mom told her she didn't think so. They don't know I am gay but who knows maybe there is a God who wants gay people to be his primary pianists. Or maybe there are just lots of gay men who play the piano.
ReplyDeleteGay people just love playing the piano, apparently! :)
DeleteI play the piano too, and I am pretty damn good at it! :D
DeleteProve it! ;)
DeleteFirst, thanks for not saying what the calling was till the end. I thought it was a cliff hanging tactic to keep me reading to the end, but I'm assuming you just forgot.
ReplyDeleteSecond, Your worries about how the ward might view you, while valid there is something else to consider. If the Bishop knows about everything you think and do, as you explained to him openly, wouldn't he also be extending his trust and own self in you extending you the calling? Ward members would then also need to question why he would let you continue in the calling. This isn't a bad thing like it may sound. Think of the dialogue that could begin in your ward IF someone questions your worthiness. There might be a wonderful discussion about Christ's love for all, no matter what. If the Bishop believes you are right for the calling, then who is anyone to question him on it.
Thirdly, as you know, you shouldn't question how others might perceive you. If you would like to do the calling and the Bishop is extending you the calling, with all he knows, then do it for you. You already attend Sacrament for you, because you enjoy the hymns (like me) and the place to think. Why not serve by playing the piano because you would enjoy listening to children sing, or laughing at the kids trying to sing. I think Church should be a place where we go to serve but also to fill our own wells of love and happiness. Don't worry about being a little selfish in your acceptance of a calling.
However, that logic also extends to your refusal to play. If you don't want too, for what ever reason, just say no and don't fear the thought of letting the Bishop down. However, you might never know what wonderful experiences you pass up by saying no.
Anyways, I should wrap this comment up because it is way to long. I apologize. I think it is something special for your Bishop to act the way he is. Imagine if all church leaders were like this. No one would feel excluded, because they would be included. He sounds like a good man and I can see why you would count him a friend.
I had to go back an reread the post after reading your comment. I didn't realize that I hadn't said what the calling was at the beginning! *sigh* I guess I'm just a creative genius and suspense builder and didn't know it. haha.
DeleteAs always, thank you so much for your thoughts. And NEVER apologize for writing long comments! :)
I used to have that same calling and, at one point, my favorite calling was working in the nursery. I loved those tiny kids that I would never have in this life. My heart ached.
ReplyDeleteBut then there was chat in the ward... .you know how that goes. And I made the decision to quit my nursery calling. My mother feared someone would find out I was the way I was (she can't say the word gay) and they'd think like her which is to assume gays are predators.
I felt so hurt but quit and soon after never went back to church.
Sounds like the Bishop, your friend outside of church, sees the good in you and wants to maintain a link with you to have you come fully back into the church at some point. Hmmm. Never say never I suppose but I've personally walked out the door already (of course I'm technically still a member for now).
It would be a touch decision, pros and cons. Good luck with it.
Ron B
Ron- I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I worry about the same thing, but as far as I know, the bishop is the only person who knows I'm gay. I don't him saying anything to anyone about it. (I hope.) I think I'm going to accept just because I think it would be fun to do. And if it sucks, I'll be moving in a few months anyway! :)
DeleteHi there,
ReplyDeleteI came across your blog via Facebook and I apologize in advance for just jumping in here without knowing you or your full back story. But, your post really resonated with me.
For what it's worth from one stranger to another, I think you should accept the calling. As a gay Mormon (inactive now), I can't think of anything more needed for the Primary organization than someone who can serve as an example that it's OK to be gay and Mormon. It doesn't matter as to what your imperfections or vices in life may be--everyone has them, visible or not.
I would have given anything as a child to feel like I wasn't alone. (I can recall being more attracted to men than women as early as the age of five.) As much as it can suck to be the poster child, you can instead think of yourself as a pioneer. (Isn't there a Primary song or two about that, which you could make your personal anthem? :)) Plus, in the bigger picture, those of us who are gay Mormons often complain about feeling excluded. This is an opportunity to be included, which is really fantastic and much needed. I hope you don't waste that rare opportunity because of your own hang ups. Not to discount them in any way, as they are your reality & I respect that, but just know that your hang ups aren't necessarily viewed the same by others--if they ever even see them to begin with.
Best of luck, regardless of what you decide on this!
Thank you for your thoughts. As far as I know, the only person in church who knows I'm gay is the bishop, but that certainly doesn't preclude the possibility of someone else finding out. (If one more person asks me about a "special lady" I'm coming out to them. I swear.) Like you, I also knew I was attracted to men in very early childhood. Your pioneer analogy is perfect! Thanks again. Don't be a stranger. ;)
DeleteLike most of the preceding commenters I think you should do it, and for the same reasons. Have fun with it. Your Bishop is rare indeed.
ReplyDeleteI think I will end up doing. I think it will be fun. And yes, my bishop is pretty awesome! :)
DeleteI grew up in the Church, in Arizona and Idaho, where there was always plenty of people in a large ward to serve in every calling imaginable. Now I live in the mission field of New York, where a handful of people, hold several callings. I serve in the Primary Presidency of a small branch. The Branch President teaches the 8-11 year old boys. The Gospel Doctrine teacher, after teaching Sunday School, comes into Primary to teach music. The Primary pianist also serves as Stake Clerk. But he is just learning to play the piano. He practices four songs all week, and plays only the melody, with one hand. He is not the easiest person to talk to, or even like. But we love him because we all prefer "live" music to "canned" music. Being in the Primary Presidency, I love and appreciate ANYONE who accepts the call to serve in the Primary, especially a pianist who can actually play the piano! Please accept the calling.
ReplyDeleteRhonda, I'm from Arizona and Idaho too! What a small world. (Or maybe it isn't, considering how many Mormons are from AZ, UT, and ID...) I think I will take it. I'm feeling pretty good about it, especially after reading all the great advice I've received. Thanks so much for your thoughts. :)
DeleteI serve in the Primary Presidency of a small branch. The Branch President teaches the 8-11 year old boys. The Gospel Doctrine teacher is also the Primary music leader. The Primary pianist is a Stake Clerk who just started taking piano lessons a few weeks ago. I love and appreciate ANYONE who accepts a call to serve in the Primary. I don't care what you look like or what you drink or what you do or do not do in your bedroom. If you can actually PLAY the piano, you would be welcomed and appreciated and loved. By the Primary Presidency, by the teachers, by the music leader, and especially by the children. Please accept the calling.
ReplyDeleteThe principal reason he wants you to take the calling is to keep you at church for the full 3 hours.
ReplyDeleteJustin, that might be part of it. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that. I mean, as a bishop, isn't that kind of part of his duty? But, at the same time, I know that it's something I would enjoy. So... I don't know. I hesitate taking a greater role in church, but I like playing the piano. *shrug*
DeleteI think you should accept. I LOVE primary. The kids just love you, no requirements needed, they just love. I have always said that if our Savior came to church he would go to Primary/Nursery and that is because what was said earlier in one of the comments is so true, the kids love everyone, there is no judgements. Also, I don't see how you playing the piano is being a hypocrite. I get you don't believe everything about the church, but I know you and would love if you were my kids' pianist in primary. Actually, I would love it if you were their chorister. In addition, you would surprised how many "faithful" "active" members have issues with different things with the church or Bible or religion in general and they serve in callings as well. I really think that is the reason why they attend weekly, so they can figure it all out and where they fit in it all. Does that make sense? I was the primary chorister for years and I would have LOVED having a pianist like you. You have energy, you will make everyone smile, you will be great. As for the Bishop just wanting you to stay the 3 hours...I'm sure he does, however, he could have just asked you to stay the 3 hours and sit with him so you felt comfortable, etc. I think he more likely just felt like you were a great match for this calling, you love to play, you love to sing and the kids will accept you with open arms. Also, I think you just may be surprised how many adults accept you with open arms as well. Your bishop sounds like an awesome man, and someone who really wants to be your friend (with you attending church or not attending)- at least from what I have gathered from this post and past posts. Looking forward to what you decide and if you do accept, what you think about it down the road.
ReplyDeleteStarla, you're totally right. I love your thought about how some people attend "so they can figure it all out and where they fit in it all." That's pretty much where I'm at. It's evolving and I'm just trying to figure things out. Your compliments mean so much to me, and your comment made me smile more than once. I'm sure I'll be posting about how it all goes down (or up!). :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteGo with your gut.
ReplyDelete