Pages

Saturday, October 11, 2014

The Opposite of Schadenfreude

If schadenfreude is feeling pleasure at someone else's misfortune, what is it called when one feels pain at someone else's good fortune?

It seems strange, doesn't it, to feel pain when seeing someone else's happiness? It's even stranger when the people who are happy are people whom you hold in the highest regard, people who have been influential, have been role models, or have otherwise been positive influences in your life. These are people whose happiness should inspire nothing but happiness in all those who see them. But it's hard to be happy for others sometimes.

Call it selfishness. Call it callousness. Call it bitterness. Call it being human.

Please don't get me wrong: These are all people I love and respect, and OF COURSE I am genuinely glad that they are getting married, having/adopting children, getting engaged, buying a house with their partners, finding wonderful boyfriends. They deserve all the love and joy they are experiencing.

But there is a distinct and nagging part of me that wants to cry every time I see a picture of a baby on Facebook, a post about someone's super awesome and romantic date with his boyfriend, a friend's engagement pictures, or congratulatory posts about someone's wedding.

I've gone through so much in the past year and a half. I've looked deep inside myself and confronted so many demons. I've fought to discover who I really am, to live with honesty, integrity, and authenticity. I feel ready for something more now. I finally feel ready, truly ready, to take on the next big step in my life, ready to date, ready to fall in love. And maybe it is only because I have been in that frame of mind, but it seems that in the past year-or-so, my Facebook news feed has been a never-ending display of others having and experiencing all the things I don't have and am not and can't experience. Facebook has been a daily reminder that I am a 37-year old who is flawed, living in the sewing room in his mom's house, and single.

I am not meaning to seem arrogant at all when I say this, but finding prospective boyfriends has never been a problem for me in the past. Granted, I was on any number of dating sites and apps, all of which I have since removed myself from. I guess I stupidly thought that after taking time to myself and once I was ready, the universe would see fit to bring something about that I had heretofore tried to force or bring about myself.

Last fall, there were several times, while driving to various places, that I would have the distinct feeling that "something" was coming, that "something" was going to happen, that wonderful things were just around the corner. It was an odd feeling, one that started in my stomach and spread, almost like tickling fingers, up through my chest and down my arms. Sometimes a song would come on when my iPod was on shuffle that would make me wonder why that particular song would come on just at the same moment I was wondering about my future. I kept a fortune from a fortune cookie stuck to the mirror in my room that said, "True love is around the corner." I looked at it every day. At first, I saw it as a sign, and I felt joy each day when I would see it. Then, as months passed, I began to wonder if the universe had a different definition of "around the corner" than I did. And then, eventually, it just hurt me to look at and I took it down and dropped it into the garbage. It seemed that love was just around the corner for everyone except me.

It's no secret that I have been struggling since moving back to AZ, so I am certain that these feelings stem, in part at least, from this. But there they are. I am so very happy that people in my life are finding love, having children, and buying houses. I love you all, and I consider it a special blessing to have you as role models and as inspiration. But I have to admit to some degree of jealousy. I have to admit that there is a guilt-inducing voice inside me that says, "When will it be my turn?" when I see all your pictures and see all your posts. I want to be able to rejoice with you, to smile and laugh with you. But I can't help but feel like a race has started, the gun shot has gone off, and I, with my feet superglued to the starting line, am watching helplessly while everyone else dashes further and further ahead of me.

4 comments:

  1. "I can't help but feel like a race has started, the gun shot has gone off, and I, with my feet superglued to the starting line, am watching helplessly while everyone else dashes further and further ahead of me."

    Thank you for putting words to how I have felt during the last week. I am 31 and have never been in any type of relationship, I've never even kissed or held hands with someone. So, I feel your pain. I think there's a lot more people out there in similar, painful situations than we see or know. It's so easy to think that the happy, successful posts on Facebook reflect reality and feel left out.

    Anyways, I'm sorry that you've been struggling since moving to Arizona. Here's a big internet hug from me to you. I've really enjoyed your blog over the last while and I appreciate your thoughts and insights. I hope you can get into a better place soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loneliness is a horrible thing and I don't wish it on anyone. It's one of those feelings that is hard to empathize with unless you have experienced it in the same strain. That is why when the straight people in my life tell me they know how it would feel to be alone, I cringe. It is so very different.

    I want to say that things will get better for you, but I know that does nothing to relieve the pain now. Just know I do empathize with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Sigh*

    I'm right there with you, Rex. If I see one more "happy couple" post, one more "my husband is so great" comment, or one more picture of someone's perfect little life, I feel like I might scream.

    I do have to say, it has been an absolute treasure getting to know you through your posts the last year or so. I feel honored to be privy to the innermost thoughts, feelings, and experiences of someone so magnificent as yourself. So, while I completely empathize with you, I also look up to you. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels this reverse schadenfreude. Without trying to sound insulting in any way, It's kind of nice to see someone of your truly amazing caliber going through something so similar to lowly ol' me.

    Know that someone out here is looking up to you. Someone cares. And someone completely understands. This loneliness thing bites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone of my caliber?? Oh, Nate, you flatter.
      I am blessed to have gotten to know you too. We're going to find our guys. They're out there for us. It will happen when we least expect it. :)

      Delete