Pages

Sunday, January 5, 2014

On the Box: The Word of Wisdom

By way of update, I started this series, On the Box, as a way to get some of my issues out there, to exchange different ideas, thoughts, views, and beliefs with my audience, and, in a way, to get some things off my chest. I did a post last week about celibacy, which I took down after having it up for less than a day. I wrote that post out of anger and worded it in a way in which that anger and judgmental attitude was pretty apparent. I have a thin line to tread with these posts. I don't want to be too preachy--although I'm sure this one will sound pretty preachy--but I do want to put forth my interpretations and observations. I want others to feel free to challenge my ideas and present their own. That being said, Please feel free to join in the conversation. I would love to hear what you have to say! :)

* * * * *

When I was a kid, I saw people drinking coffee and would turn up my nose disdainfully. I thought people who drank alcohol were bad, literally. And smoking? You might as well have been a Satanist.

Now that I'm older and, I'd like to think, much wiser, I know better. People who drink coffee, tea, wine, beer, and whiskey aren't bad people--I know because I'm one of them. But I've also learned something else: The Word of Wisdom is pretty wacky.


There are few things in the world that get to me more than hypocrisy, willful ignorance, and blind obedience. I hate when people say one thing and do something else that is just as bad. I hate when people know something is there but refuse to acknowledge it. I hate when people follow a rule simply because they've been told to. It's even worse when the original wording of that rule is basically tossed out the window and is replaced with some other interpretation.

There are three broad categories of things that I find fundamentally wrong with the Word of Wisdom: 1) We do things it says we shouldn't, 2) We don't do things it says we can, and 3) It's not accurate because the "revelation" was received in a time that was long before many scientific discoveries and thus does not demonstrate heavenly omnipotence.

Scenario #1: It's summer. You're planning on having your relatives and friends over for a 4th of July barbecue. You buy a huge package of pre-made burgers, and a package of hot dogs. You're standing there at the grill breathing in the pleasant odor of charred meats. The kids are playing games. The adults are laughing and telling stories. Then you all gather around the table and chow down on the burgers and hot dogs. You're all breaking the Word of Wisdom.

Scenario #2: It's a tradition: every Thanksgiving you cook a huge turkey to serve to your family. You saw a recipe you've decided to try where the turkey is wrapped in bacon. Mmm! Someone else brings a ham. You're breaking the Word of Wisdom.

According to the WoW, meats are to be consumed "sparingly" and "only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine..."or when you are in "excess of hunger." Why are these parts completely ignored today? After just under 200 years, we have decided that meats are okay to eat as much as we want? Or were those things written into the WoW because there were far fewer animals available back then, so the people were admonished to use them frugally? This then begs the question, was this a rule written for Joseph Smith's time or a rule written for our time?

What I learned growing up was that the WoW "commands" us to abstain from tobacco, alcohol, and drinks that contain stimulants (e.g. coffee and tea). I won't include tobacco in my arguments because, yes, it is bad for you. Whether chewed or smoked it causes cancer, emphysema, heart problems, etc. (As to being a handy remedy for bruises and sick cattle, as the WoW purports, I cannot attest.) But tea, coffee, and alcohol I will take issue with, and I will put them into two different groups because alcohol is clearly a different beast than tea and coffee.

First a question: why is it forbidden for Mormons to drink iced tea, hot tea, and coffee as a result of their containing caffeine, but it's perfectly acceptable to run to the local Quik Mart every single day for a 44 oz. Diet Coke, Mountain Dew, or Dr. Pepper?? Are coffee and tea inherently worse than caffeinated sodas? Or do we just avoid coffee and tea because those have become part of the Church's official doctrine? True, I've seen the odd statement here or there in a talk by a church authority that says something like, "All members of the church should abstain from anything that is habit forming." But aside from some orthodox fundamentalists (who were always regarded as odd, even by other church members), how many Mormons heed that advice? And, to take it a step further, who decides what is and is not habit forming? How often does something need to be done in order for it to be considered a habit? But I digress...

Have you ever taken a look at the list of ingredients for a typical soda? And diet sodas are worse! Even if it comes down to just caffeine, non-caffeinated sodas are still FAR worse than drinking coffee or tea! And don't get me started on "Monster" energy drinks and others of that ilk. If the revelation for the WoW had occurred today, would carbonated beverages be on the list too? I'm pretty sure they would.

Moreover, there are myriad health benefits that come from naturally-occurring caffeine. The negative aspects of caffeine consumption generally only occur in people who "binge" or consume "large daily quantities" or "overuse." Moderation is key, as is the case for everything in life.

And tea!? The scholarly articles on the health benefits of green tea, red tea, white tea, and black tea are nearly endless! What's wrong with tea? I honestly would like to know. Caffeine? Really?

What the church should be outlawing, to keep our "body-temples" pure and healthy, are artificial ingredients, preservatives, and all the chemicals and fake crap that people gobble up without so much as a thought as to the harm it causes their bodies. If the church is that concerned about the body being a temple and keeping it clean and pure so the the Spirit can dwell there, then maybe it should advocate--in a more direct way than the odd obscure talk--for all its members to buy local, to buy organic, to read labels, to educate themselves on what they put inside their bodies. Maybe it should eschew sugary drinks and snacks that lead to obesity. Maybe it should even go so far as to ban kids from "overindulging" in video games and should tell families to limit their time spent in front of computers and television screens.

The Word of Wisdom doesn't reflect our time. Coffee and tea and even alcohol are the least of our health concerns.

In the 1830's, when the WoW was written, it was believed that hot drinks, literally any drink that was served and consumed hot, was bad for the body, as if one was burning one's internal organs or something. There is nothing at all mentioned specifically about coffee and tea. We've forced that in there throughout time. But why? Who started that? Where did that come from? Were you aware that both coffee AND tea were on the list of required items to take when the Mormons prepared to move from Iowa to the Salt Lake Valley in 1847!?

"Strong drinks" were considered liquors made through distillation (i.e. vodka, whiskey, rum, etc.), but "mild drinks," which the WoW expressly allows since they are made from grains, are fermented alcohols (i.e. beer). Here's a news flash: Joseph Smith drank both beer and wine! The WoW allows for it, as long as it's only beer and not liquor. The WoW also allows for the consumption of wine during the sacrament as long as the wine is made from grapes that you grew yourself. It's right there in the D&C, in print, in English. So why would a Mormon freak out if someone brought a six-pack of Miller Lite to a pot-luck dinner? (Never mind that many of today's beers contain an even lower alcohol content than the "mild drinks" of Joseph Smith's time.) I'm being very serious in asking this question because the Word of Wisdom does tell me I can drink beer.

So we eat meats all the time even though we shouldn't. And we don't drink beer even though we are allowed.

The fact here, to me anyway, is that the WoW, like all scriptures--like all literature, like all art--is a product of the era in which it was written. It was the product of Joseph Smith (and, if you do the research, Emma Smith, who was tired of cleaning up the tobacco spit on the floor after meetings), who was only familiar with the science of his time. (It is for this reason that the "revelation" didn't include something so simple as washing one's hands or boiling water to prevent the spread of diphtheria and typhoid fever, which killed many early Mormons.) Later decisions regarding what Mormons could and could not consume were largely economic (since Brigham Young didn't want their community's money being spent on expensive imported goods, like coffee) and social (all alcohol, including beer, was not banned until the temperance movements of the late 19th and early 20th centuries). The church didn't switch to water from using wine for the sacrament until 1906. And adherence to the Word of Wisdom was not an official requirement for receiving a temple recommend until 1933.

So, while church leaders have tacked new things on through the years, my principal problem with the WoW remains very similar to my problem with so many other things in the church: It is open to way too much gray-area interpretation and lacks logic. If it was a revelation from God, wouldn't He have known that drinks that are hot are not bad for the body, that coffee and tea are actually healthy, and that there are myriad things we should really be abstaining from to stay healthy? Even though the world of the 1830's didn't have all the chemical and fake garbage "food" that we have today, it still could have been worded in such a way as to include them, such as eating only "pure" foods, etc. If I am to believe that our God is omnipotent, then how am I to believe that He wants me to abstain from having an iced tea with lunch. How do I reconcile the fact that in just under 200 years, the LDS church has shied away from the part of the Word of Wisdom that explicitly says that drinking beer is okay. (And WHY does no one else talk about this??)

What are your thoughts??


Selected Sources:
Doctrine and Covenants, Section 89
Fair Mormon
LDS History

9 comments:

  1. Great post. Very comprehensive.

    This line seems a little unfair though: "There are few things in the world that get to me more than hypocrisy, willful ignorance, and blind obedience."

    1. The words of current prophets always outweigh what is written in scripture. The Word of Wisdom as "revealed" in D & C is practically null and void.

    2. Many in the church do not trust science or research. Thus saying that soda is more unhealthy than coffee or tea does not mean anything to them. It is really a faith issue. They believe in teh words of the prophets therefore there must be something evil/poisonous about coffee that science can't reveal... (I know ridiculous.)

    3. I think this is the most important point - Part of the fear of substances like coffee and alcohol for many in the church really is a lack of positive or responsible exposure. Often the only people a believing/active Mormon may encounter drinking alcohol are alcoholics, or experiences with accidents from drunk drivers, etc. Many have never seen that someone can responsibly drink one or two glasses of wine with dinner, share a few cocktails with friends, etc, without getting drunk or becoming an alcoholic.

    I have actually made it a point to order an alcoholic beverage when out with believing family members or coffee just so that get to see what a non-event it is...

    (There are some great "secret" Facebook groups where things like this are discussed all the time if you are interested.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concede that that line was a bit unfair. I'm bound to say things like that every now and then in my "passion." Thanks for pointing it out to me.

      It is that lack of trust in science that bothers me and is so opposite to my thinking! I can't even fathom saying to myself, "Well, I don't know what's bad about drinking tea, but there most be something because the church says I shouldn't drink it."

      Awesome response, though. Thanks so much for your additional points. :)

      Delete
  2. I would have loved for direct links to the things you mentioned, but I understand how time consuming those can be to find.

    You have made some interesting points. I always thought it interesting that the WOW said it was not a command but a "suggestion". My brother and his wife took more seriously the meat issue you raised and have tried to cut back on it, though mostly for dietary issues. He did mention though the WOW mentioning meat should be used sparingly. It is interesting though that we focus on certain aspects of a "law" and completely ignore others. I wonder if I could bring that up in Elders Quorum and see how they respond.

    As my for myself, I have not had a drink or sip of alcohol. Of course it started out as being obedient to a law that made sense to me as a child and teenager. But as I have grown older I have developed my own thoughts on the issue and now choose not to drink. But my views on those who do drink have changed, from the judgey to the unbothered.

    One interesting side note, I remember sometime in the past year or two the church specifically said that caffeinated pop (soda) was not forbidden. There was a sizable backlash from Utah Mormon's that the church changed their official statement to say something less black and white, saying members make their own choices on that matter. haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trevor! What links would you like that I left out? I put the links where I got most of my info at the end. I could probably tell you where I got something if you can't find it.

      I would actually be very interested to hear how people would respond if you were to bring it up in Elders' Quorum.

      I'd be interested in seeing the wording of the church's statement that caffeinated soda is not forbidden. The last I heard, they were saying that anything "habit forming" should be avoided. It is this very wishy-washyness that baffles me, how they can be so staunch about something and then discard that same thing and be so staunch about something else.

      Delete
  3. I agree with much of what you've said. I've often "discussed" the meat thing with my TBM mother as I, too, see it as times of "famine" just like the WoW says.

    The Church made it seem the WoW was a health code but to me it was always more of a test of my obedience no matter what it said but yes, to me as well, it is not very black and white. MOre like streaks of grey, etc everywhere.

    I even tend to tease my TBM siblings when they imbibe "non-caffienated" tea just because it's still green/black tea. And yes, I told my mother off for drinking something that had the wrong word on it. Still I guess I'd find it odd to see my TBM parents begin to booze it up too but that's because I'm so brain screwed with Mormon madness.

    The W of W will be the next thing to be thrown under the bus, watch for it on LDS.org. I'm smiling as I type that but who knows? Time to change things up, Mr. LDS Prophet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Non-Mormons were always somewhat "evil" to me when I was young (what a sad truth in my life). Now most of my friends do like a wee nip (or a lot more than wee) and I will have a drink or two at times. Fine, 3 or 4 maybe a few times.

    But I really think my friends waste their drinks on me. I'd rather just have water.... I've never understood the drinking. I'll do it but... whatever. One of the other bloggers talked about sipping and I've never understood that either. I tend to chug whatever is placed in front of me, sure I enjoy some things more than others like red over white wine or a nice scotch but still I don't get the alcohol and don't like that feeling of wooziness.

    The WoW meat thing has really ticked me off, more now that I'm aged. It bugs me to see my TBM family eating meat constantly like we live in a famine.

    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back in one of my areas on my mission one of the members in the Elders quorum gave an entire lesson on the WoW, but he only focused on the "hot drinks" part. He went into great detail about how hot a drink could be before it was forbidden. He even went so far as to tell the members that they can't drink the broth from their soup until it had chilled. I just sat there and rolled my eyes.

    Another thing I always found interesting was the whole idea that we should avoid being around people who break the WoW. I was raised in a part-member family. My father smoked and drank. (He stopped smoking about 3 years ago.) My grandparents smoked & drank. As a matter of fact, my dad, his father, and his siblings are all alcoholics. His father was a raging alcoholic. He drank himself to death, actually. I have family members who have died because of drug abuse, drinking, smoking, etc. Because of that, I choose not to drink, smoke, do drugs, etc. It is my personal choice. I always found it crazy that leaders would tell us that if we associated with people who drank or smoked it would make us do it too. What a stupid concept! I'm such a weak person that I have to do what I see others doing? I can't learn from their bad choices?

    Another note, my mom started keeping her temple clothes in the trunk of the car. She said that she got dirty looks from other people when she would take them out at the temple, and since she lived with a smoker, everything smelled like cigarettes. Sad...i wonder what life would be like if EVERY sin had its own smell. "Hey, did you smell that?? Brother Jones beats his wife!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you, James. But I think the church absolutely thinks that all humans are innately weak and will latch onto anything "evil" that presents itself. We have to be "sheltered" from these things at all costs.

      Thanks for your input! ;)

      Delete
  6. I had a conversation with my friend a few weeks ago about alcohol and what drinks I'd like if I tried it. This conversation took place in front of my little brother (never had a sip in his life), who promptly told me not to start drinking because if I do I'll become an alcoholic.

    Ok. I'll admit it. I've since "partaken" of the strong drink. More than once. And, honestly, I haven't found much that I like, I find it expensive, and I have no desire to get drunk. So, I don't really drink except for the occasional cocktail here and there.

    Nevertheless, I have not turned into a raging alcoholic after one sip. I'm not even close to addicted and will only drink if there's something that's bound to be reeeeeally tasty and doesn't actually taste like alcohol. But my experience with my brother is just a picture-perfect example of what the majority of LDS people believe, and that's sad. The VAST majority of people who drink do so responsibly. Members of the church just don't believe there can be such a thing because of their own fear of becoming addicted to something that's against God's law.

    And don't get me started about my family's pop addiction.........

    Great words, Rex! I loved your blog today, as always.

    ReplyDelete