Pages

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Shortest Meeting with the Bishop Yet

I said in this morning's post (in which I talk about last week's meeting with the bishop) that I would post an update after my meeting with the bishop this afternoon. It turned out to be short and sweet. As usual, I didn't say everything I would have liked to say. Maybe next time. (I don't know why I'm so concerned with disappointing him. Probably because he has been so nice to me and I want him to like me.)

He started the meeting by asking how my week went. I told him all about the garbage going on at school and all about my choir concert. After he agreed that I had had a heck of a week, he asked how primary went today. I could only shake my head. "I just can't do it," I said.

Primary today was awful. The kids were off the wall obnoxious. And the sharing time lesson was about Genesis when God created man and woman. I cringed the whole time they talked about how we are made in God's image. For today's first lesson on the creation of men and women, the kids learned how to keep their bodies pure. To demonstrate this, the teacher had a cube with a different body part on each side. She had kids come up and roll the cube and say something they like to do with that body part and a way that we can keep it pure and protect it. One child got "mouth." The child said she liked to eat with her mouth and that we can brush our teeth to keep our mouth clean and pure. Someone else had already talked about brushing and flossing, so the teacher suggested "piercings" as something to avoid to keep our bodies pure. I shook my head. I couldn't help myself. There's a gay guy with two pierced ears sitting at the piano, and she's telling the kids about how piercings lead to impurity. I just can't wait for the lesson on how Adam and Eve are commanded to make as many babies as they can...

The bishop asked if I wanted something to be done, and I said yes. He asked if I could play next week just to give him "time to seek the Lord's guidance" in who should take my spot and then have a chance to call that person to the position. I agreed. I was hoping that this would be my last Sunday, but I suppose I can endure one more.

He then asked how I was feeling about sacrament meeting and playing for the choir. I said, "It's not so much how I feel about sacrament meeting or playing for the choir, but how I feel about the bigger picture. I just don't feel like I belong here. I'm not sure what this church holds for me, if anything at all."

"Do you feel good here?" he asked.

"Well," I said, "I think when I came back here I just wanted to feel like I was a part of something. It felt good to sing the hymns and listen to the talks. I could take from them what I needed or wanted. I guess that felt good." He took this and ran with it.

"I think that if there is anything that brings us joy, we should not throw it away no matter what."

So I went from having some happy moments to feeling constant joy. I didn't bother correcting him, although I wish I had because he is now basing my presence in church around this supposed "joy" that I feel there. He read me a part of an email from his sister, one that talked about how, even though we might not know why some things happen in our lives, if we just focus on what we do know, the knowledge of other things is sure to follow. He used this, he said, to illustrate what I'm searching for in my reconciliation with the church.

Again, I should have pointed out a very important point, that my "reconciliation" has nothing at all to do with reuniting or rekindling beliefs that I now know are not true. All I was ever looking for was to make peace with where I came from, and the LDS church was a part of that past. I feel like I have made that peace, but now things have gotten very complicated because of my talks with him, his befriending me, and my (stupidly) accepting callings. I've gotten out of one calling, but I feel like I'm still enmeshed in something that I have no desire to be enmeshed in.

I just wanted to go to sacrament meeting, sit in the back, and be unbothered by anyone.

Now, all the things that he and others are doing to bring me closer to the church are only pushing me further away; that is, I am getting more and more turned off to going to church at all. I feel like if I had just been left alone, I would be perfectly happy. But I guess I can't really blame the bishop or anyone else. I made the decision to start the conversations with the bishop. I accepted his invitations to dinner, which I could have said no to. I accepted the callings he gave me, which I could have said no to.

I find myself wondering why I went back at all. I actually regret doing it now. I do not feel joy there. I do not feel comfort there.

I've digressed... He told me that he read the marriage statement that the church put out. He agreed that the language used in it "is not the best." He said that he doesn't put too much stock into things that are not specifically from the First Presidency. When the prophet's name is not attached to something, he feels like he can take it or leave it. "I realize this is much easier for me than it is for you, though," he said. He realized that this statement does not impact him in the way it impacts me and other LGBT people. And that was really all he said about it. I was kind of surprised.

After that, he asked if there was anything else I wanted to talk about. When I said there was not, he thanked me for coming in to chat with him and said a closing prayer.

Not sure what's next in this adventure of mine. I guess only time will tell...

12 comments:

  1. I feel like you're facing a typical problem I always had in the church. I was perfectly happy to sit in the back, listen to the lessons, and be surrounded by a (mostly) accepting community.

    But sensing that my activity level had dropped a bit, I was besieged by callings. Not wanting to be rude, I stupidly accepted all of them. Before long, I was staying for all three sessions, cleaning the church on weekends, doing home teachings, and attending Young Men sessions. I realized that I had completely unwittingly slipped back into full fledged memberships status and was miserable because of it.

    I think that some churches need to realize that the more you try to force people to be active, the more you push them away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Bryce. That is precisely how I feel. Just leave me alone, people! ;)

      Delete
  2. Rex - thank you. From an ally, thank you. Thank you for trying. Thank you for your patience. Thank you for your long suffering. Thank you for (hopefully) helping the rest of us understand that its OK to be a square peg in a church that seems to have nothing but round holes. I hope we "get it" before you and our other long suffering LGBT sisters and brothers run out of patience or faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for that, Dennis. I truly appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. Rex, WE NEED YOU! Thank you for hanging on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Primary sounds awful. I don't think I could handle watching the indoctrination up close and personal every week. Glad you are getting out of that. Isn't it funny how bishop's will latch on to anything you say to get you to keep coming to church? My bishop tried that one me when I was first leaving. He tried to remind me of how good I felt on my mission and when I read the Book of Mormon. I don't think you should keep doing something just because everything about it isn't completely awful. Like if you watch a movie and don't totally hate it should you watch that movie every week for the rest of your life? No because you need to put your time and energy towards other things. Try scaling back and see if you can get what you were originally looking for out of attending church. It is a weird aspect of Mormonism that they can't just live and let live. They have to keep on you until you follow all the rules. You have to be really good at maintaining boundaries in order to just attend as you please.

    I have gotten better at saying no. When I was first leaving the church I was just lonely enough that if my home teacher invited me to an activity or something I would agree. If the bishop's secretary called and wanted to set up an appoint I would go ahead and go down to the church and talk to him. Now I reject most invites. I have, however, agreed to accompany the stake choir for their Christmas program the last 2 years. The most annoying thing about it is the Christmas program is always talked about non-stop as a missionary tool. Every week in the prayers people pray that they will have the spirit so they will be able to testify of the savior and convert the audience. They talk about inviting your friends not so that they can share in a nice program but so that they can be converted. This year they went a little over board and had a slide show towards the end that was very preachy and all about how they are the one true church. It seemed really heavy handed. Even my mom said she thought it was really boring and made the program to long. The year before it wasn't quite so bad which is why I agreed to do it again this last year despite some reservations. After what happened I am not sure what I will say when they inevitably ask again later this year. I might just be vain enough to agree to do it because I like having everyone tell me how amazing I am at the piano.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel torn about your experience and where you end up on this, probably because I over-assimilate your feelings & experience with my own. I frequently feel upset about and diaagree with how others try to explain gospel truths (with logic, in my opinion). Anat some point it leads me to wonder what I'm doing there. But I may have a few different beliefa and motivarions than you do for coming. For one thimg, service in the church is something I have come to relish. In moderation. :) The opportunities I love most, however, are bringing someone a meal (it's hard to have a bad experience with that) and teaching (again, harder for ME to have a bad experience there and ut plays to my strengths). So, I find it hard to understand your desire to sit in the back and not engage and help. But I know othwr members that feel similarly to you. I view service as part of the church experience, though. But when it comes to bad information, and teachings, two things help me. One - I probably feel more confident than you might in speaking up and disagreeing. And there are aspects of the gospel I believe in. If that is mot true for you, them I'd say a calling where you do things to help with sunday services are not for you (because you won'tbe comfortable, no matter how it's taught). Two - I try to remind myself that, as different as I feel these people are from me in their thinking, I overexxagerate the differences and it won't get better if I leave. At their heart, I believe most people at church are engaged in it for good purposes. I try my best to hold onto thw things I have in common with them, as any of us cam be wrong in our undeestanding of doctrine. Including me. As someone who craves more diversity in her congregation, I can.t wish you to stop going to church. But I totally understand if you do. It's not (yet) a safe place for all it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel torn about your experience and where you end up on this, probably because I over-assimilate your feelings & experience with my own. I frequently feel upset about and diaagree with how others try to explain gospel truths (with logic, in my opinion). Anat some point it leads me to wonder what I'm doing there. But I may have a few different beliefa and motivarions than you do for coming. For one thimg, service in the church is something I have come to relish. In moderation. :) The opportunities I love most, however, are bringing someone a meal (it's hard to have a bad experience with that) and teaching (again, harder for ME to have a bad experience there and ut plays to my strengths). So, I find it hard to understand your desire to sit in the back and not engage and help. But I know othwr members that feel similarly to you. I view service as part of the church experience, though. But when it comes to bad information, and teachings, two things help me. One - I probably feel more confident than you might in speaking up and disagreeing. And there are aspects of the gospel I believe in. If that is mot true for you, them I'd say a calling where you do things to help with sunday services are not for you (because you won'tbe comfortable, no matter how it's taught). Two - I try to remind myself that, as different as I feel these people are from me in their thinking, I overexxagerate the differences and it won't get better if I leave. At their heart, I believe most people at church are engaged in it for good purposes. I try my best to hold onto thw things I have in common with them, as any of us cam be wrong in our undeestanding of doctrine. Including me. As someone who craves more diversity in her congregation, I can.t wish you to stop going to church. But I totally understand if you do. It's not (yet) a safe place for all it should be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to listen to a few guys rant in priesthood class wondering why they even came to church but now I am so happy they had the courage to speak up.

    In the end you have to do what's right for you. The right thing for me was to quietly leave.
    Ron B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes. That sharing time teacher needs to be taken out back and put out of her misery...

    Anywho...I'm sorry you didn't get much deeper with the statement on Gay Marriage...he sounds like he was trying to brush it aside...that kinda bugs...

    Meanwhile, my bishop just asked for a meeting...I think it's because he saw I was at a museum on a Sunday instead of at church...(well...I haven't been going since October, so..............). I guess it's time for a "come to Jesus" meeting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to know what happens next.

    I relate a lot with your issue though. That is why I had to force myself to not join the ward choir, even though I REALLY wanted to. I knew the slightest bit of participation was a gateway to full activity. I keep my mouth shut in church classes and keep my socialization to only those who I care about and know. It's an art to not get involved in a LDS church.

    But I am able to get what you wanted in the start. I just go for me and that is all.

    ReplyDelete