Pages

Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Saddest Comedy

*see update at bottom

At first I actually chuckled. The concept to me seemed so ludicrous and ignorant that it seemed almost like a joke. But as I continued scrolling, I saw that it was in earnest. My smile faded. My stomach dropped. And I burned with silent rage.

What caused this?

Well, it seems that the LDS church is making a gallant attempt to glean understanding about the positions of its younger members on marriage and "same-sex attraction." On the surface, reading the introduction to the questionnaire that is meant to cull this information, it seems like a good thing: "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is conducting a focus group to better understand your views on marriage and same-sex attraction. If you would like to participate in this study, please complete the following questions," it says.

"Awesome!" one might say. "It's about time," one might think. "It's good to see that they're actually trying to see what people think," I said to myself.

But no. They are not trying to do anything of the sort. This questionnaire and focus group are only about furthering and deepening the dogged ignorance that currently exists in the LDS church as far as human sexuality is concerned.

The online questionnaire (which you can see in its entirety here) was emailed to random students who currently attend BYU. In addition to questions about where respondents fall on a scale of conservative to liberal, traditional to progressive, how open they are to new experiences, and how much they value knowledge, they are asked, "What is your sexual orientation?" One might think, as I did, that this would be an effort to quantify how students actually identify as far as their sexuality is concerned. But the response options leave out anything that is not heterosexual. Respondents can either choose "heterosexual, but I struggle with same-sex attraction" or "heterosexual and I do not struggle with same-sex attraction." What this clever little rhetorical trick does is deny any sort of legitimate existence of homosexuality or bisexuality. It also means that one cannot even "be" same-sex attracted; one can only "struggle with" same-sex attraction.

It appears, at first, that there may be a silver lining to this dark cloud: there is a third option, a choice that says "Other" and then a box that allows a respondent to type what that "other" might be. A gay or lesbian respondent might feel miffed at first, but take solace in the fact they he or she can type in "gay" or "lesbian" into the box.

At the end of the survey, however, lies the real kicker, a set of blank boxes that must be completed in order to submit your responses. The survey asks for a first and last name, a phone number and email address, and the name of the respondent's ward. They tell you that your personal information will be kept "private" but private to whom, private in what group, private in how large a scope? Let's be honest here. Anyone who has the gall to introduce a pretend fantasy sexuality, viz., homosexuality, can almost certainly expect a phone call from his or her bishop. They must, after all, be set straight (if you'll excuse the pun) and taught that there is no such thing as homosexuality.

What is the value of this questionnaire? How honest will the results be? No person who does self-identify as gay, lesbian, bisexual, or transgendered--the survey also only allows selections for either male or female gender--would ever risk their enrollment at the school by admitting to having an aberrant sexuality, or at least very few will be brave enough. How could the church's leaders possibly gain any understanding at all when they effectively deny homosexuality as a viable identity, when they deny even the very existence of homosexuality?? How many lives must be damaged or ruined completely by telling people that an attraction to their own sex or gender can be nothing other than a "struggle"?


Can the results of this survey even be considered scientifically valid? If the church REALLY wants to know what millenials feel about marriage and "same-sex attraction," here are a few suggestions:


  1. Offer the gamut of gender identities and sexualities as responses, even if you personally do not believe they exist. Offering the options will, if nothing else, tell you exactly what respondents' views are. And isn't that what you're trying to find out?
  2. Don't just send the survey to students at BYU. I think it is fairly safe to assume that only the most devout LDS members desire to attend BYU. This student body is not at all representative of the views of the vast majority of young church members. Send the link out to local wards. Put a link inviting members between certain ages to participate on official church websites.
  3. If you want honest and accurate results, the survey must be anonymous. People will not be honest if there is even a slight fear of retribution. Once the initial, anonymous results have been tallied, a second survey can be sent out that asks for volunteers for a focus group that will get into more detail. Making a name and phone number mandatory guarantees that only those who have nothing to fear, e.g. those who confidently identify as heterosexual, will respond.


If I am honest, this questionnaire disgusts me. I feel nothing but disdain for those who created this additional display of ignorance and arrogance. This additional piece of garbage only pushes me further away from having any sort of association with this church.


**Update: since the original survey was sent out, changes have been made. According to the Huffington Post, which picked up the story, a spokesperson for the LDS church said that the question now reads, "Do you experience same sex attraction?" and give the options "yes," "no," and "other." According to the church, the "other" box allows respondents "to provide any context or explanation they wish." This is the third change I'm heard about. Others were posting a screen shot yesterday that actually had the options for homosexual, bisexual, and transgendered. This most recent change seems rather like a step backwards to me.

8 comments:

  1. ...or maybe they just want to contact the survey taker for the focus group.

    You are right that there certainly is reason to fear "retribution" (because it's technically a possibility), but it does not seem very likely to me (at least in the way you seem to envision it) given strongly mitigating factors such as recent changes in the Honor Code and--honestly, and perhaps most importantly--broad changes in public opinion and thought: that is to say although the Church could be seen to be "lagging" behind the mainstream, that same mainstream nevertheless will prevent anyone from being singled out and punished even for something like "advocating for homosexuality" (a phrase explicitly removed from the Honor Code to allow for... advocating).

    I don't think your concerns are misplaced, but they are out of proportion. Having graduated from BYU just a few years ago and having friends still there, I feel fairly confident saying that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trev, thank you so much for your comment. *sigh* I will admit that my knee-jerk reaction was perhaps a bit...overwrought. I guess I was (and am) just offended and saddened at the complete disregard for those who identify as gay/lesbian/bi/etc. To me, they really seem to be saying that there is only heterosexuality. I am glad to hear that BYU's honor code has softened and that individuals are no longer being singled out. I admit to being ignorant as far as that stuff is concerned, not having gone there myself and only hearing stories that are, I now realize, probably dated.

      Delete
    2. Actually Trev, BYU is still openly hostile to LGBT students and the stories from current students about the harassments that they endure are discouraging. And BYU-I seems to be 100 times worse.

      Justin, it appears they added another category to that survey because it does offer 3 categories now, one of which is homosexual, bisexual or transgendered (as if these were the same things ) ( and they could have taken the trouble to find out that trans people prefer transgender over transgendered)

      Delete
  2. A little dated, yes, and reaction--perhaps--a bit overwrought, but as for taking offense and being saddened at the complete disregard for those who identify as gay/lesbian/bi/etc., I'm right there with you! It is terrible. And this survey does reflect a very negative--and harmful--ingrained attitude.

    The thing that's so horrible about it to me is that they don't even realize it! Heck, the more time goes on and I experience and realize more of what "normal" is compared to the artificial gay Mormon hell that we get boxed into generally at least through young-adulthood I realize that _I_ didn't even realize how wrong _I_ had it. Certainly I don't blame myself because I understand where I came from. Similarly, I feel like I can't be too hard on the Church/BYU (though at times I am _very_ saddened and/or angry, too :P ) because I feel like I know where the people in it are coming from, too--they just don't have the "luxury" of _being_ gay to push them through that, for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When something like this appears I am always suspicious. Call me a cynic, but I called the fake suicide story a couple months back from the beginning. So, in order to gain some more understanding, can I ask a few questions?

    The article you posted seemed to offer no sourcing of information besides one link and some screen grabs of that link. No e-mail's from a BYU students account, no interview of a BYU student. I know that when my university sends a survey out (which is often) we have to log in with a provided username and passcode or our student ID). This survey, on the other hand, is open to the public and easily skews samples that way.

    Also, the survey link could easily be a fake. How do we know this is real, aside from this one article posted on the site? I see the church logo on the top of the site, but I can easily replicate that logo in Photoshop and in fact did for a local church flyer years ago. I see no official copyright or legalize on the bottom of the page as there normally is on all other church websites and pages.

    Just some things don't add up here for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Trevor,
      Although I can't say for certain whether it's legit or not, I am convinced that it is. Since it was originally posted and since that article ran, The Huffington Post has picked up the story and has apparently contacted a spokesperson for the LDS church who told HuffPo about a change it made to some wording.
      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/28/byu-survey-straight-heterosexual_n_5227529.html

      Delete
    2. Thank you for posting the article where comment from a church spokesperson was added. I'm glad they made a change (twice) to this. I have always disliked the "same-sex attraction" label, but I suppose that's the church's chosen label. I prefer gay.

      Delete
  4. It was also reported in the SL Tribune...

    Trev, I think you are underestimating the situation. We all know that the church marks our memberships for all future bishops and church leaders to see that WE are never to work with youth, be bishops, or hold certain positions within the church simply because we have been up front about our sexuality. This could mean saying we are gay, this can also mean privately telling the bishop we are straight but struggle with ssa. So if you are required to give your personal info on this survey as well as contact info for your bishop it only makes sense that it will be sent back to him.

    I believe in the power of the priesthood, and I've experienced revelations that, to me, can only be explained if there is truth in the church. I also experienced revelations that are counter to what the church teaches about ssa or being gay and it has been very confusing. But the bottom line is byu and the church have repeatedly proven they do not have the individual’s best interest at heart when it comes to this issue. Their actions have proven they are not here to lighten the load for anyone who is other than heterosexual and not struggling with same sex attraction. While I applaud the small changes that have happened in the last decade they have not stopped tagging our records, excommunicating us, or even applying a much stricter law of chastity to those of us that are gay, ssa, different. If holding hands with another man makes me immoral then it should also be immoral for any non-married heterosexual not struggling with same sex attraction. If kissing another man makes me immoral then it should be immoral for any non-married heterosexual not struggling with same sex attraction.

    I realize this sounds harsh, but those of us of a certain age remember basing life decisions on the promised blessings of family and eternal life if we hated ourselves enough to make ourselves completely humble, prayed enough, fasted enough, and lived unquestioningly every precept we knew only to discover that the promises were empty. The term for that is spiritual abuse and it was doled out by the church.

    I hope things really are changing. I’ll trust that they have everyone’s best interests in mind when their actions prove it so. But until our records are not being tagged etc. I don't believe Rex is overreacting or being overwrought, he is being realistic.

    ReplyDelete